It’s not Valentine’s Day, but who needs a special holiday to enjoy some heart shaped donuts?! These adorable donuts will win over anyone’s stomach. Recently, I purchased a heart shaped donut pan. Maybe it was because I wanted to hop on the donut bandwagon or just because I wanted to build on my kitchen collection. Either way, zero regrets.
I’m going to admit something, these aren’t my favorite donuts. They’re simply just not the kind of donut I prefer, cake donuts. I prefer the deep fried crunchy outside with a soft chewy inside kind of donut. But you know what? I really truly enjoyed these donuts. They were pretty simple to make and paired very nicely with coffee (but then again, what bakery item doesn’t?)
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
What you do:
1) Preheat oven to 425*F. Prepare donut pan with nonstick cooking spray
2) In a bowl of a standing mixer, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Add milk, egg and butter. Beat until combined, but do not over mix. Fill each donut cup about 1/2 full.
3) Bake 4-5 minutes or until the top of the donut springs back when touched. Let cool a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dip cooled donuts into cinnamon glaze (see below)
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.